The Institute of Highway Engineering Aachen has been acknowledged and recognized as an independent research institution for decades, in basic research as well as in application-oriented research. By diversifying the research spectrum, we are able to expand our core competencies and pass on the know-how to our customers continuously.isac
The research activities of the institute of highway engineering focus on a future-oriented, advanced and modern infrastructure, taking into account the needs of road users, the environment and construction workers. The functionality and durability of road surface fastenings are to be maximized by optimizing the existing and new road fastening materials on the market. This is done by taking a holistic view of the life cycle of road surfaces, from the manufacture of building materials through installation to the evaluation of the quality of the running road system. The institute has extensive "know-how" in the simulation-based as well as experimental research methods.
The following research areas are currently being dealt with:
Bitumen & Asphalt
- Development of analytics for advanced bitumen & asphalt tests
- Optimization of the functional properties of bitumen at the molecular level
- Optimizing the use properties of asphaltenes
Multifunctional road building materials
- Development of water permeable roadway structures made of alternative building materials
- Market positioning of new road building materials based on polyurethane
- Expansion of the function of the traffic area towards energy production
Dimensioning & maintenance
- Upper dimensioning for asphalt and concrete attachments
- Development of numerical simulation methods for the assessment of the crack formation and propagation in the asphalt surface
- Development of multi-scale models for assessing the durability of asphalt superstructures
Installation & Quality
- Optimization of installation and compression processes of asphalt
- Optimizing the quality of asphalt attachments, including the installation and compression process
- Development of methods for the non-destructive load-bearing measurement and evaluation of the road surface
- Development of noise-reducing road surfaces on a plastic basis
- Non-contact condition detection of flatness and grip
- Evaluation of macro- and microscopic surface topography with regard to its effect on flatness and grip
The Institute of Highway Engineering deals with central topics of road planning and road design.
The topics of the road planning and road design work are all questions concerning the proper design of roads as well as the analysis of design bases and design principles in the directives with regard to their impact on traffic safety as well as on work safety.
The most important areas of activity and research at the Aachen Institute for Roads are:
Traffic data collection and analysis
- Collection of traffic data for the description and analysis of the traffic flow
- Use of micro simulation, eg for comparison of planning variants
Traffic control and safety
- Optimization of traffic control systems with regard to:
- Development of individual and collective traffic control
- Development of forward-looking predictive procedures for road safety
Management of workplaces
- Security and management procedures
- Optimization of road equipment in the context of innovative signs, markings and protective devices
The Chair and Institute of Highway Engineering has its research areas for underground transport facilities in the equipment, operation and control of road tunnels.
Safety aspects and environmental issues play a crucial role in this context.
In addition, the Institute of Highway Engineering deals with questions of ventilation, video detection, fault management as well as the planning and design of tunnels.