Road planning, road operation and road traffic engineering
The Institute of Highway Engineering deals with central topics of road planning and equipment, the traffic flow as well as road safety.
The subject of the road planning work are all questions concerning the proper design of roads, as well as the analysis of design and design principles in the directives with regard to their impact on traffic safety.
A further research area is the investigation of the psychological perception and effect on the driver of spatial routing elements and cross-sectional types, as well as the road equipment. The institute is particularly suited to this area of research, using simulation techniques and a simulated driving simulator.
The area of transport and operations is concerned with organizational measures to improve traffic on roads. The most important areas of activity and research at the Aachen Institute of Highway Engineering are:
- Collection of traffic data for the description and analysis of the traffic flow,
- Traffic control systems, as well as their control and effectiveness,
- Traffic quality of individual plants and related stretches,
- Use of micro simulation, eg for comparison of planning variants,
- Traffic safety and protection,
- As well as their safeguards and management procedures; and
- Road equipment, eg innovative signs and markings.
The Institute of Highway Engineering Aachen can look back on extensive experience in all of these areas. These includes both: the field of research and the field of application in practice.